Filoli has scheduled its annual “Holidays at Filoli” events Nov. 18 through Dec. 23. With the theme “A Century of Traditions,” the country estate will feature a story of Christmases from 1917 to 1975, with every room decorated; illuminated Garden Nights; holiday shopping in a setting reminiscent of European Christmas markets; entertainment; classes; and teas.
Filoli, a National Trust for Historic Preservation property, is located at 86 Cañada Road, Woodside.
Holiday-themed classes, Nov. 2-11
Filoli offers the classes Contemporary Garlands and Other Swag, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 2; Floral Arrangements and Table Settings for the Holidays, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 4; The Art of Paper Flowers and Decor: Decorative Magnolia, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 4; Traditional Holiday Wreaths, 9:30 a.m. to noon Nov. 11; and Traditional Garlands, 1-3:30 p.m. Nov. 11.
‘Santa Saturdays,’ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 19 through Dec. 23
“Santa Saturdays” will feature Santa and Mrs. Claus reading under the tree in the Reception Room, family-themed music and a family activities guide that aims to engage all ages in the holiday experience. Santa will arrive at 10 a.m., followed by photo opportunities in the Lecture Hall from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Santa also will make appearances Friday and Saturday evenings 5:30-8 p.m.
Opening reception, 6-10 p.m. Nov. 18
Filoli’s cocktail party rings in the holiday season. Attendees will get an exclusive first look at the estate’s decorations and shopping experiences. Entertainers will perform throughout the estate, and the garden will be illuminated for the first time. The event will culminate in dancing in the ballroom. Admission will include a glass of sparkling wine, hors d’oeuvres and sweet treats.
Shopping will begin at the Marketplace under a tent, where vendors will offer a diverse selection of unique gifts. The Clock Tower Shop will feature a wide variety of gift items, including food.
Holiday teas, 3 p.m. Nov. 21 and 28, Dec. 5, 12 and 19
Holiday teas will include a traditional tiered tray served at each table with finger sandwiches, freshly made scones and holiday treats. Guests can select a Filoli Holiday Blend tea. Following the tea, visitors can tour the house to see how a traditional tea would have been served in the Drawing Room.
Winter Solstice Celebration, 5-9 p.m. Dec. 21
The winter fête marks the shortest day of the year. The adult-focused celebration will feature several activities in the garden, including a ceremonial lighting ritual and meditation. Sparkling wine and light hors d’oeuvres will be served, and all of the “Holidays at Filoli” amenities, including Garden Lights, will be open. Wine, beer and coffee will be available for purchase.
Guided tours, days and evenings
Docents will lead special holiday house tours, sharing stories about the history of Filoli’s families and holidays past. The guided one-hour tours cost $5 in addition to the entrance fee.
Tips for visitors
Filoli offers the following tips for visitors.
• All areas of Filoli will be open daily, including the Quail’s Nest Cafe, the Clock Tower Shop and the Marketplace. The Marketplace is tented. Filoli is closed Mondays and Thanksgiving.
• For Garden Lights in the evenings, only the Sunken and Walled gardens will be illuminated and open for guests. All other services will be available.
• All guests should arrive for check-in at the Visitor and Education Center. Wristbands are required for entry.
• Holiday entertainment is offered in the house daily.
• Special entertainment, a wine bar and costumed characters will be available evenings and weekends.
• “Holidays at Filoli” will be open rain or shine, with much of the experience outdoors, so dress accordingly.
• Sold-out crowds are anticipated. Advance registration is encouraged. Members must purchase tickets. Timed tickets are available in three daytime and two evening time options.
• Admission to the property and parking begins at the start of your ticket time.
• Tickets are nontransferable and nonrefundable.
• Parking is limited; carpooling is encouraged.
• Advance tickets can be purchased by phone or online, with the option of printing them at home.
Ticket prices vary.
For tickets and more information, visit filoli.org/holidays-at-filoli.org.