Medicare enrollment period
Medicare’s annual open enrollment period closes Dec. 7.
To compare available plans, visit tinyurl.com/MedicareCompare.
For questions or to change a Medicare plan, call (800) 633-4227.
For free insurance counseling from the California Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy program, call (800) 434-0222 or visit aging.ca.gov.
Los Altos Senior Program
The following events are scheduled at the Los Altos Senior Center, located at Grant Park, 1575 Holt Ave. For more information, call 947-2797.
• Thanksgiving lunch, noon today. A sit-down Thanksgiving meal will be followed by entertainment from a Peninsula Symphony quartet. The event will be held in the Grant Park Multipurpose Room. A $5 donation is requested. To sign up, call 947-2797.
• Tech Workshop, 10 a.m. Dec. 2. LifeSite will demonstrate how to keep important documents in one safe place to access quickly in an emergency. The workshop will take place in Grant Park Room 3.
• Police lecture, 12:30 p.m. Dec. 4. Karan Malhi, code enforcement officer from the Los Altos Police Department, will outline his responsibilities and conduct a Q&A in Grant Park Room 4.
• Magic show, 12:30 p.m. Dec. 11. Phil Ackerly, an award-winning entertainer, will combine magic and comedy in his show in the Grant Park Multipurpose Room. Admission is free.
• Tech workshop, 10 a.m. Dec. 16. Participants can learn how to use apps like Medisafe, as well as Siri shortcuts. The workshop will take place in Grant Park Room 3.
• Christmas lunch, noon Dec. 20. The celebration will include a catered lunch, entertainment and prizes. Dance Connection will perform a mini version of “The Nutcracker.” An $8 donation is requested. The event will be held at the Los Altos Youth Center, 1 N. San Antonio Road. To sign up, call 947-2797.
Mountain View Senior Center
• Holiday Bazaar, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Attendees can shop locally and buy handmade gifts as they get an early start on Christmas shopping at the center’s annual Holiday Bazaar. Fifty vendors will sell jewelry, knitted items, ceramics, wood carvings and more. Live entertainment is scheduled, as well as a food truck and a free raffle. All ages are welcome. The Mountain View Senior Center is located at 266 Escuela Ave. For more information, call 903-6330.
Avenidas Rose Kleiner Center
The Avenidas Rose Kleiner Center is scheduled to host a Death Cafe 1 p.m. Dec. 3 at the center, 270 Escuela Ave., Mountain View.
Death Cafes are informal gatherings where people share thoughts and questions about the end of life. Susan Barber of San Mateo’s Mission Hospice will facilitate the discussion.
Susan Lam, RN, clinical outreach specialist at Avenidas, said the previous event at the center, held Sept. 18, was a great success, with nine participants.
“The conversation was lively, interesting and enjoyable,” she said. “I think it’s a great way to open up an uncomfortable conversation in a supportive and positive way.”
Admission is free, but registration is required.
To register, call Barber at 532-2396 or Avenidas at 289-5499.
For more information on Death Cafes, visit deathcafe.com.