The Los Altos Senior Program is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays.
The Grant Park Senior Program is located at 1575 Holt Ave. Hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays.
For more information, call 947-2797 or visit losaltosrecreation.org.
• American Mah-jongg class, 9:30 a.m. Wednesdays, beginning Jan. 23 in Room 11. Seniors can enroll in the Beginner American Mah-Jongg class to learn how to play the challenging game. Cost is $37 for Senior Program members, $44 for nonmembers. Intermediate Mah-Jongg play is scheduled noon Wednesdays.
• Day trip, 9:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 24 to Rachel Dunn Chocolates in Concord. Participants will make American and French chocolates. Cost – $83 for Senior Program members, $88 for nonmembers – includes transportation, workshop fee and gratuity. A no-host lunch is scheduled at Salsa Verde. Register in Room 10. Space is limited.
• AARP Tax Preparation Program, 9 a.m. to noon Mondays, Feb. 4 through April 15. Certified volunteers will offer free help preparing and/or filing federal and state income-tax returns. Appointments are required.
• Day trip, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. March 28 to the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in St. Helena. The trip will include a tour of the school followed by a light lunch from The Bakery Cafe by Illy. The next stop will be the Culinary Institute at Copia in Napa for a one-hour cooking demonstration and tasting of Thai food. Cost – $63 for Senior Program members, $68 for nonmembers – includes transportation, demonstration and gratuity. Participants must pay at the time of registration, plus $25 by cash or credit card at the location for the tour and lunch. Register in Room 10. Space is limited.
• Green medicine bins. The green medicine bin in Room 10 has been removed due to U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency regulations. Ask staff about alternative locations.
• Pickleball court update. The 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday pickleball sessions will be held only at the Hillview location, not at the Los Altos Youth Center, through March 20.
Grant Park events
• Lecture, “Understanding Residential and Commercial Recycling,” 12:30 p.m. today in the main hall. Tim Giacomini from Mission Trail Waste Systems will lead the discussion.
• Lecture, “Understanding Crime Prevention and Home Safety,” 12:30 p.m. Feb. 20 in the main hall. Jessica Ceynowa, a community risk specialist from the Santa Clara County Fire Department, will lead the discussion.
• Chess, 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays in Room 4. Join other aficionados at the chess table.