The Los Altos Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For more information, call 947-2797 or visit losaltosrecreation.org.
• Men’s Group: 10:30 a.m. Oct. 3, Room 10. The group invites single and married men to enjoy pastries and coffee as they chat with other men.
• Movie Day: 1 p.m. Oct. 4, Room 12. The featured movie is “Argo,” rated R, running time 120 minutes. Free to members, $1 for nonmembers. Popcorn and beverages will be provided.
• Book Club: 1 p.m. Oct. 10, Room 18. October’s selection is “The Shadow of the Wind” (Penguin Press, 2004) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and Lucia Graves. Participants may bring a bag lunch.
• An AARP Mature Driving Course is scheduled 1-5 p.m. Friday and Sept. 20 in Room 11. Certification is given at the completion of the two-day class. Cost is $12 for AARP members, $14 for nonmembers. Bring a check to class made out to “AARP” with your AARP number. Reserve a spot in advance by calling the Senior Center.
• A Personal Emergency Preparedness Class is scheduled 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 3 at the Grant Park Community Center, Room 4, 1575 Holt Ave., Los Altos. The city of Los Altos, in coordination with the fire and police departments, offers PEP training. Topics include the impact of an area-wide disaster; a how-to guidebook covering seniors’ health and wellness, fire safety, fire extinguishers, household hazardous materials; emergency planning; and supply-kit preparation. Register with the Recreation Department at losaltosca.gov/recreation.
• The Los Altos Recreation Department has scheduled a number of classes geared to older adults, including Stepping On, taught by professionals at Stanford Hospital for seniors who have fallen or have a fear of falling; and BoneSmart Movement & Beyond, an exercise class that features lectures and demonstrations. For a fall 2013 Recreation Guide, stop by the Senior Center or visit losaltosca.gov/recreation.
• November Smoke Detector Program: Sunset Rotary members volunteer to change old batteries or install new smoke detectors free of charge in seniors’ homes. Leave your name, address and phone number with the Senior Center and a Rotary Club member will call to schedule an appointment.
• Case managers from the Community Services Agency visit the Senior Center 10 a.m. the third Friday of every month to discuss various topics of interest. The Sept. 20 topic will be the Advanced Health Care Directive and Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment forms. The Oct. 18 topic will cover home care and the In-Home Supportive Services program. To make an appointment, call the Senior Center.
• Volunteer the second Friday of the month to prepare a nutritious meal for a maximum of 36 seniors. The volunteer chef works with staff to create a menu, schedules kitchen volunteers, communicates shopping needs and prepares and serves meals adhering to proper time and temperature controls.
• Volunteer to serve as bingo caller. The Senior Center needs a volunteer 12:45-2 p.m. the third Friday of each month to call bingo games, help serve dessert and drinks and help clean up after Birthday Bingo celebrations.
• Volunteer to help with holiday luncheons. The Senior Center seeks three sous chefs Nov. 21 and Dec. 19 to assist with pre-event kitchen preparation. Volunteers are also needed Nov. 22 and Dec. 20 for three shifts – 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., 9:30-10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. – to assist with setup, decorations and serving.
• The city of Los Altos offers eight scholarships of $200 for Senior Center membership. Scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis to qualifying individuals. Applicants must reside in Los Altos and have an annual income under $39,800. To request an application, call Peggy Ford at 947-2790. Los Altos Hills also offers scholarships. For more information, call Sarah Gualtieri at 947-2814.
• The Monkey Toy Ladies need helpers and donations of used nylons to make stuffed monkeys for sick children at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. The group meets 9:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays in Room 11. For more information, visit monkeytoyladies.com.