The Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For reservations and more information, call 947-2797 or visit www.losaltosrecreation.org.
Guest speakers and presentations
• Art historian, traveler and photographer Kathleen Cohen is scheduled to discuss “From Ancient Vietnam to the Viet Cong and the Vietcom Bank” 12:30 p.m. July 27 in Room 12.
• Orthopedic surgeon John Parker is scheduled to discuss “Arthritis: Mobility and Impact on Hips and Knees” noon July 28 in Room 12. Parker will offer tips from the specialists at El Camino Hospital. The hospital’s Health Library Resource Center will be onsite with books and materials on arthritis and suggestions for exercises. Co-sponsored by El Camino Hospital, the Community Services Agency and the Los Altos Recreation Department.
• Nurses from the University of San Francisco’s School of Nursing are scheduled to lead a presentation on “Good Vision Health” noon Aug. 2 in Room 12. Topics will range from maintaining good vision health to recognizing signs and symptoms of macular degeneration and the use of assistive visual devices. RSVPs requested. Co-sponsored by the city of Los Altos, USF School of Nursing master’s students and the Community Services Agency.
• The Men’s Group meets 10 a.m. the first Thursday of every month in Room 10. The group invites single and married men to enjoy pastries and coffee as they chat with other men.
• The Women’s Group meets 10 a.m. the fourth Wednesday of every month in Room 10. Bring topics for discussion and ideas on how you would like to see the group run. The group seeks a leader – call the center if you’re interested.
• A Hollywood BBQ is scheduled noon July 22 on the Senior Patio. The barbecue will feature a Hollywood theme and a menu that includes chicken with rice and vegetables. Special guest James Dean will make an appearance.
• The Senior Center seeks volunteers to man the front desk. Openings are available 8:30 a.m. to noon or noon to 3:30 p.m. on a weekly, biweekly or substitute basis.