Last updateTue, 19 Sep 2017 5pm

On The Road

How to find out which cars qualify for HOV stickers

Q: I want to see which model and type of cars qualify for the stickers that allow you to drive in the HOV (carpool) lanes in California. Is there a list or website I can check before making my next car purchase?

A: You can learn more about the current list of hybrid and electric vehicles that qualify for Green and White Clean Air Vehicle decals by visiting the California Air Resources webpage at arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm.

Q: One of my license plates fell off and I received a citation for a missing plate. How can I get a replacement?

A: For regular series license plates, complete an Application for Replacement Plates Stickers Documents (REG 156). The completed form and a $19 fee are required. Make an appointment online or by calling (800) 777-0133. Be sure to take the remaining plate and your current registration card to the DMV field office.

Q: I purchased a new personalized plate and want to add a hyphen between two letters. Is it legal to add to the plate?

A: No. It’s against the law to tamper with or obscure any portion of a California license plate, according to California Vehicle Code Section 5201. For more information, visit dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm.

Submit a Letter to the Editor

The Town Crier welcomes letters to the editor on current events pertinent to Los Altos, Los Altos Hills and Mountain View. Write to us at 138 Main St., Los Altos 94022, Attn: Editor, or email editor Bruce Barton at bruceb@latc.com. Because editorial space is limited, please confine letters to no more than 200 words. Include a phone number for verification purposes. Anonymous letters will not be printed.

You can also have your say right here at losaltosonline.com – scroll to the bottom of any story to add a comment. 

Schools »

Read More

Sports »

Read More

People »

Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

Browse and buy photos