Last updateWed, 18 Oct 2017 10am

On The Road

There are exceptions to rules that come with provisional licenses


Q: Are there exceptions to the restrictions that minors must follow when they hold a provisional license?

A: The law makes the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for a minor to drive.

• Medical necessity when there are no other reasonable forms of transportation. A physician must sign a note that explains the diagnosis and the probable date of recovery.

• Schooling or school-authorized activity. The school principal, dean or his/her designee must sign the authorizing note.

• Employment necessity. If a vehicle must be operated as part of employment, the employer must sign the note verifying employment.

• Your necessity or the necessity of an immediate family member. A parent or legal guardian must sign the note.

• If you are an emancipated minor, no documentation is needed. However, emancipation must have already been declared and Proof of Financial Responsibility must have been provided to the DMV in lieu of guarantors’ signatures.

For all exceptions, a signed note explaining the necessity and the date it will end must be kept in the minor’s possession at all times.

For more information on provisional licenses, visit www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#duplicateID_DL.

Q: I really want to make sure that I’m teaching my daughter, who is a new driver, all the rules of the road correctly. Does the DMV have a guide for parents?

A: Yes. Visit the DMV Web site, www.dmv.ca.gov, and click the “Publications” tab, followed by the “More DMV Publications” option, and then the “Parent-Teen Training Guide 2008” option from the drop-down menu. This handbook will help you begin driving practice with your daughter, but remember, only hours of practice will make your child a good driver. Also, take a look at the DMV’s teen section by visiting www.dmv.ca.gov/teenweb and the DMV’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/californiadmv.

Q: I am a librarian and am interested in receiving the most current DMV handbooks to make available to our customers. Do I need to go online or is there a phone number that I need to call to order these materials?

A: It’s easy to request handbooks from the DMV. Just submit a written request to: Department of Motor Vehicles, Materials Management, 4201 Sierra Point Drive, Suite 112 Sacramento, CA 95834. You may also fax a request on company letterhead to the DMV Warehouse at (916) 928-7900.


Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed George Valverde California Department of Motor Vehicles Director in 2006. He has been in public service for more than 30 years.

Submit a Letter to the Editor

The Town Crier welcomes letters to the editor on current events pertinent to Los Altos, Los Altos Hills and Mountain View. Write to us at 138 Main St., Los Altos 94022, Attn: Editor, or email editor Bruce Barton at bruceb@latc.com. Because editorial space is limited, please confine letters to no more than 200 words. Include a phone number for verification purposes. Anonymous letters will not be printed.

You can also have your say right here at losaltosonline.com – scroll to the bottom of any story to add a comment. 

Schools »

Read More

Sports »

Read More

People »

Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

Browse and buy photos