See the recipe for easy to follow instructions to make these delicious appetizers.
• 1 large brown potato, boiled and mashed
• 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon green chili, chopped (optional)
• Pinch asafetida (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
• Pinch chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
• 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
• 1 teaspoon dry mango powder or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• Pinch turmeric powder
• Salt to taste
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed approximately 40 minutes)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Heat oil and temper coriander seeds for a few seconds. Once they start to change color, add chopped onion and fry until brown. Add turmeric powder and mashed potatoes. Sprinkle dried spices, cilantro, chili and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes and set aside to cool.
Cut pastry sheet strips into three rectangular parts and make nine squares. Put 1 tablespoon of potato filling in center. Fold pastry sheet to make triangle. Use fork to gently but firmly press into sides (to form design and help seal).
Place puffs on cookie sheet lined with foil and bake 15-20 minutes or until brown and crispy on top.
Serve hot with green chutney or ketchup.
Makes approximately 9 puffs from 1 pastry sheet.
Note: Add cooked, minced chicken or poached salmon in cream sauce for a nonvegetarian variety.