County superintendent receives recognition The Association of California School Administrators named Santa Clara County Superintendent of Schools Mary Ann Dewan the 2021 Region 8 Superintendent of the Year.
ACSA Region 8 covers Santa Clara County and comprises nearly 400 schools and more than 30 school districts.
Dewan received the recognition “for her continuous work with developing and expanding new and innovative ideas, strategies, and solution-based roundtables,” according to a press release from the county.
“We are so proud of Dr. Dewan, and this regional honor,” Claudia Rossi, president of the county board of education, said in the release. “She works tirelessly for the County’s students, families, and staff, and her efforts’ positive impact will be felt by our communities for years to come.”
ACSA Region 8 also honored 17 other 2021 Administrators of the Year from seven of Santa Clara County’s districts.
Merit Scholars earn national awards
Nearly a dozen local students were named 2021 National Merit $2,500 scholarship winners.
Nationally, the 2,500 Merit Scholar designees were chosen from a pool of approximately 16,000 finalists in the 2021 National Merit Scholarship Program. Scholars may use their awards at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
Last month, an estimated 1,000 recipients of corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards were named, and in the coming months, roughly 4,000 college-sponsored Merit Scholarship winners will be announced.
By the conclusion of the 2021 program, approximately 7,500 finalists will have earned the “Merit Scholar” title and received a total of nearly $30 million in college scholarships.
Local $2,500 winners, their city of residence, their high schools and their probable career field:
- Julia T. Isaac, Los Altos, Kehillah Jewish High School, computer programming
- Jason C. Lin, Los Altos, The Harker School, undecided
- Arya Maheshwari, Los Altos, The Harker School, academia
- Arjun P. Patrawala, Los Altos, Mountain View High School, computer science
- Russell A. Yang, Los Altos Hills, The Harker School, undecided
- Henry Shi, Mountain View, Los Altos High School, law
- Morgan Taylor-Cohen, Mountain View, Los Altos High School, economics
- Francis R. Beckert, Mountain View, German International School of Silicon Valley, mathematics
- Melinda M. Yang, Mountain View, Waldorf School of the Peninsula, academia
- Kanav Mittal, Sunnyvale, St. Francis High School, computer science
- Kaushik S. Tota, Sunnyvale, St. Francis High School, environmental engineering