Multiple grass fires ignited after a transformer attached to a utility pole exploded Tuesday (Feb. 11) afternoon in the 600 block of North Whisman Road, according to a press release from the Mountain View Fire Department. No injuries or monetary property loss were reported.
Firefighters who arrived on scene at just after 4 p.m. Tuesday found six small grass fires burning in a one square block area as well as a power line that had fallen to the ground.
The largest of the grass fires was 10 feet long by 10 feet wide. Units extinguished the fires before they reached two nearby tractor trailers.
Due to the power outage in the area, the fire department also received reports of people trapped in elevators at two properties. PG&E restored power to those buildings, freeing the trapped occupants.