The 2020 National Merit Scholarship Program named more than 50 local students semifinalists in the annual scholarship competition.
This year’s program recognizes the top scorers on the 2018 PSAT. More than 1.5 million juniors from approximately 21,000 high schools took the test, which served as an initial screen of program entrants. The pool of semifinalists includes the highest-scoring entrants in each state.
Of the approximately 16,000 semifinalists nationwide, an estimated 15,000 are expected to become finalists. Approximately half of the finalists will win a national merit scholarship. Semifinalists must fulfill several requirements to advance to the finalist level.
Local winners include:
• German International School Of Silicon Valley: Paul A. Zhuromskyy
• Homestead High School: Noa Bronicki
• Mountain View High School: Jack U. Ashby, Kayla A. Blalack, Karina E. Chen, Zachary C. Chen, Alex J. Kim, Arielle S. Perrochon, Nakul Shenoy, William D. Temme and Matthew H. Tseng
• St. Francis High School: Aishani V. Aatresh, Mate Aranyosi, Katelyn L. Chu, Antonin B. Cornillon, Rohil Deolalikar, Sarah Y. Gao, Adishree S. Ghatare, Wynna Z. Huang, Seiji N. Imai, Rithik Jain, Aarjav J. Joshi, Maya L. Kannan, Ryan J. Kawahara, Michelle Li, Tiffany Z. Li, Arron R. Liu, Ashvatth K. Maheriya, Nathan L. Moy, Anirudh M. Natarajan, Arianne Nguyen, Stefan Popescu, Matthew A. Quan, Avya Sharma and Kavitha M. Vinod
• Los Altos High School: Jessica D. Aaron, Kylie L. Akiyama, Elena J. Atluri, Isabella Borkovic, Owen S. Bratt, Cassandra C. Chou, Joshua E. Hejna, Daniel B. Hu, Natalie Huang, Nathan Huang, Olivia E. Ih, Cassidy C. Lee, Maxwell S. Liu, Megan C. Liu, Kyle A. Machnicki, Karim A. Merchant, Elena M. Mujica, Mikko Salkola, Riana H. Sanjeevan, Thien-Nha Tiet, Oliver K. Yu, Sarah J. Yung and Michelle Y. Zhu
• Pinewood School: Katherine A. Chui and Peirong Li
For more information, visit nationalmerit.org.