Physicians at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation award scholarships annually to high school students who plan to pursue careers in medicine.
The Palo Alto Foundation Medical Group Pre-Medical Scholarships – $25,000 per recipient – are paid out to students over five years.
High school students with the following qualifications are eligible to apply for the scholarships.
• Plans to become a doctor and selects a related college major.
• Maintains a grade-point average in the top 20 percent of class (verified by transcript).
• Demonstrates need for financial assistance to attend a four-year college or university (verified by FAFSA, SAR and parents’ tax returns).
• Lives in the areas served by PAMF, including Santa Clara, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
Applicants must attach the following supporting information.
• 1,000-word mission statement
• Statement of support from student’s college guidance counselor
• High school transcripts
• FAFSA, SAR and parents’ tax returns
• SAT and ACT test scores
The deadline to apply is April 13.
To apply online and for more information, visit pamf.org/
Kiwanis Kids collect used eyeglasses
Loyola School’s K-Kids Club recently launched its annual Share Old Spectacles drive.
The K-Kids, sponsored by the Los Altos Kiwanis Club, collects used eyeglasses and donates them to Direct Relief International, which identifies the prescriptions, repairs the glasses and distributes them around the world.
Eyeglasses in good condition may be dropped off at:
• Los Altos Town Crier, 138 Main St.
• Heritage Bank of Commerce, 419 S. San Antonio Road, Los Altos
• Los Altos main library, 13 S. San Antonio Road
• Cafe Vitale, 987 Fremont Ave., Los Altos
• Green Bakery, 692 Fremont Ave., Rancho Shopping Center, Los Altos
• Loyola School Office, 770 Berry Ave., Los Altos
• Mountain View Optometry, 495 Castro St., Mountain View
LASD trustees hold office hours
Los Altos School District trustees Jessica Speiser and Bryan Johnson have scheduled office hours to answer questions and listen to parents’ concerns.
Speiser’s office hours are scheduled 9-11 a.m. March 8 and April 4 at Starbucks at Rancho Shopping Center, 654 Fremont Ave., Los Altos.
Johnson’s office hours are slated 9-11 a.m. March 13 and April 17 at Starbucks, 565 San Antonio Road, Suite 2, Mountain View.