Santa Clara County Fire responders evacuated Union Presbyterian Church at 858 University Ave. in Los Altos Wednesday morning (Dec. 12) after reports of a natural gas leak.
At a noon media briefing, Santa Clara County Fire Chief Ken Kehmna told the Town Crier that responders evacuated the church campus, which also serves as the site for a private preschool and elementary school, after initially receiving a report of the leak at approximately 11 a.m.
According to Kehmna, PG&E crews on the scene conducted pressure testing, isolating the source of the leak to a stove in a school kitchen, and capped it.
"At this point, the leak has been completely shut off and the system is safe," Kehmna said.
Some of the schoolchildren were experiencing headaches and nausea as a result of the leak, Kehmna noted. Four students, he added, were taken by ambulance to a local hospital as a "purely precautionary" measure.
"All the parents have been notified and are showing up to pick up their kids," he added.