The still-lingering pandemic has pushed Los Altos’ most popular events forward in the 2021 calendar, but rising COVID-19 vaccination rates make the return of some in-person events more likely.
• The Rotary Club of Los Altos’ annual Fine Art in the Park, usually held in mid-May, is scheduled 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 14 and 15. The open-air art show will feature the work of more than 100 artists and artisans, food, beverages and live entertainment.
• After a year’s hiatus, the Kiwanis Club of Los Altos’ annual Pet Parade is back – albeit in modified form. It’s scheduled for its regular time slot this year, 10 a.m. May 15 in downtown Los Altos. Given still-present COVID concerns, the club is planning a car parade for this year’s event.
“There will be livestreaming and commentary during the parade,” said Kiwanian Martha McClatchie, who added that the event will be available for viewing afterward.
• The 42nd annual Los Altos Arts & Wine Festival is set to return as well. Usually held the second weekend in July, the festival is slated to return live and in person Sept. 25 and 26 in downtown Los Altos.
“Although the future remains uncertain, it is our intention to create a live event following all requirements/safeguards in place at the time,” said Scott Hunter, executive director of the Los Altos Village Association (LAVA).
• The Downtown Los Altos Farmers’ Market, another LAVA event, returns May 6 with regional vendors offering fresh produce and specialty food items. The market, located along State Street, is slated 4-8 p.m. Thursdays through Sept. 30.
Hunter said all the safety rules from last year – social distancing, mandatory masks – will remain in place this year. Lingering will be discouraged.
“Get your fruits and vegetables to take home,” he advised.
One popular element will be returning after a year off – musicians performing ambient music.
• El Camino Health is offering vaccinations (see page 4) and free COVID testing by appointment. Anyone living in the El Camino Healthcare District – Los Altos, Los Altos Hills and parts of Mountain View and Sunnyvale – is eligible.
The next testing in downtown Los Altos is scheduled 8:30 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. April 14 at the Assistance League of Los Altos,169 State St.
To make an appointment, call 940-7022 and request a Los Altos vaccine appointment.