From pancakes to parades, there are several ways for local residents to celebrate the Fourth of the July.
A list of scheduled events follows.
• Independence Day Pancake Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. at Union Presbyterian Church of Los Altos, 858 University Ave. The 46th annual event offers free pancakes, fruit, sausage, juice, coffee and tea in the church’s Bailey Hall. Donations are welcome, earmarked for Help One Child, a local nonprofit organization that recruits, trains and supports families caring for foster children. For more information on the breakfast, call 948-4361.
• Los Altos Hills 4th of July Parade: 10 a.m. at Los Altos Hills Town Hall, 26379 W. Fremont Road. The annual parade features residents in a patriotic procession down Fremont Road, from town hall to Gardner Bullis School, where marchers and spectators will be offered free beverages and watermelon. Participants are asked to meet at town hall by 9:30 a.m.; those with fossil fuel-powered vehicles and horses will be turned away. For more information, call 947-2518.
• Glorious Fourth of July Celebration: 10:30 a.m. in Shoup Park, 400 University Ave., Los Altos. The city of Los Altos-sponsored event includes performances by Ye Olde Towne Band and the Montreal-based band The Unicorns. A “Salute to Vets” event at 11:30 a.m. honors the 20th anniversary of the “Cradle of Liberty” statue in the corner of the park. Hot dogs, shaved ice, drinks and other food will be available for purchase, and activities include games for kids. For more information, call 944-2790 or visit losaltosca.gov/recreation.
• Fireworks with the San Francisco Symphony: 8 p.m. at Shoreline Amphitheatre, 1 Amphitheatre Parkway in Mountain View. The event features a performance by the San Francisco Symphony, led by conductor Edwin Outwater, accompanied by a fireworks finale. The program includes music from “Star Wars” and several Pixar Studios films. Broadway vocalist Capathia Jenkins will perform with the symphony. Tickets are $15.50-$145. For more information, visit sfsymphony.org.
• On-the-water viewing of fireworks: 9 p.m. at Shoreline Lake, 3160 N. Shoreline Blvd. in Mountain View. The Boathouse and American Bistro offer parkgoers the opportunity to observe the Shoreline Amphitheatre fireworks display from a pedalboat, rowboat, canoe or kayak in the middle of the lake with specially prepared food. Customized picnic baskets and picnic basket/watercraft combos will be available, as will a lakeside barbecue. Reservations must be made in advance. An all-access pass costs $15 per person per day. For more information, visit shorelinelake.com/upcoming.html.
–Compiled by Ryan Chen