News

Police declare ‘no affirmative conclusion’ in last week’s accidental home shooting

There is "no affirmative conclusion" about who pulled the trigger in a Sept. 26 shooting that left a man with non-life threatening injuries, the Mountain View Police Department announced today (Oct. 8).

Police responded to the 700 block of San Carlos Avenue at approximately 9:45 p.m. that evening and found a couple standing on their front lawn. The husband had suffered a gunshot wound in his forearm and was subsequently taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, police spokesperson Katie Nelson said at the time.

When the wife was questioned at the scene, she told officers that she believed their home was being broken into. Nelson said the day after the incident that the reason why the woman thought a home invasion was taking place was being investigated by detectives assigned to the case. The reasoning behind her belief has still not been released to the public.

Since the investigation began, officers have been able to piece together that the gun was shot accidentally as the husband struggled to take it away from the wife. The extent of the husband’s injuries is currently unknown, Nelson said, due to the fact that the department does not yet possess the medical report. His wife was uninjured.

The firearm involved was a .40 caliber handgun, properly registered to the owner. Only one shot was fired.

The department will likely not name the couple due to the determination there was no criminal intent when the shot was fired, Nelson said. No one will face charges.

Schools »

Schools
Read More

Sports »

sports
Read More

People »

people
Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

photoshelter
Browse and buy photos