News

House fire displaces two Los Altos Hills residents

A Los Altos Hills family that placed a grill too close to their home caused a fire that spread to their garage and attic Monday afternoon (Aug. 12), according to fire officials. 

The fire started at approximately 5 pm at a residence located in the 11500 block of Arroyo Oaks Drive, according to a Santa Clara County Fire Department press release. Four fire department engines and one rescue unit responded to the home, and firefighters discovered the garage on fire with flames spreading to an attic space. They were able to contain the blaze within 30 minutes.

Two residents who were home at the time managed to evacuate the residence prior to the arrival of firefighters, and no one was injured, according to the release. The residents are, however, temporarily displaced from their home.

Keep grills at least 10 feet away from structures, out from under eaves and away from combustible materials, the fire department warns. Never leave a grill unattended.

Schools »

Schools
Read More

Sports »

sports
Read More

People »

people
Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

photoshelter
Browse and buy photos