Tips for traveling with children

Courtesy of NAPS
It’s a good idea to make sure children’s regular vaccinations are up-to-date before traveling, according to Dr. Manisha Panchal.

While your children are young, you might think it wise to postpone any ambitious travel plans. But it’s worth reconsidering. Don’t let your children - and the entire family - miss out on travel, which provides enriching learning opportunities.

Palo Alto Medical Foundation pediatrician Manisha Panchal, M.D., offers some responses to parents’ common questions about traveling with children, as well as tips for safe, healthy and happy travels together.

What should I take with me?

A well-stocked, lightweight travel first-aid kit is essential for traveling with children. Include these items:

• Over-the-counter pain medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil).

• Oral antihistamine medication (Benadryl).

• Pedialyte powder packets for rehydration.

• Polysporin or Neosporin.

• 1 percent hydrocortisone cream.

• Anti-itch gel or cream.

• Antibacterial handwipes or alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol.

• Sunscreen.

• Prescription medications (such as inhalers for asthma) that your child uses regularly that might be hard to find or refill overseas.

How do I protect against mosquitoes?

Pack the following items.

• Lightweight, long-sleeved shirts, long pants and a hat.

• Insect repellent containing up to 10 percent DEET.

• In malaria-risk areas, pack bed nets treated with permethrin, if you are not sleeping in an air-conditioned or well-screened room. You can also buy permethrin or deltamethrin (another insecticide) to treat bed nets and clothes overseas. Follow the directions to ensure safe use.

Which vaccinations does my child need?

First, make sure that your child’s regular vaccinations are up-to-date. Then, talk to your pediatrician to learn which other vaccinations your child will need for your destination. Have your child get any necessary vaccinations at least one month before traveling to ensure that he or she has built up sufficient immunity.

Common vaccinations required for overseas travel include hepatitis A and typhoid. If you are traveling to an area where malaria is present, you and the rest of your family will need to take medication to prevent malaria (Mefloquine).

Find current information on recommended vaccinations for specific countries and other travel health information on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at

How can I ease discomfort during pressurization?

To avoid earaches from the change in air pressure as the plane takes off and lands, give your child something to eat or drink. Swallowing helps clear the ears. Even pretend yawning can ease the pressure.

Can I do anything about jet lag?

There is no safe medication for children to help with jet lag. The best thing you can do is switch over to the local time as soon as you arrive at your destination. Make sure that your children are exposed to sunlight during the day, which helps the body adapt to the local time more quickly.

If your child does wake up in the wee hours of the night, stay quiet and don’t start any activities. Keep the environment dark to help him or her get back to sleep. It can take up to two weeks to adjust fully to a new time zone.

In addition, don’t skip regular bedtimes and naps just because you are on vacation. Try to stick to a routine sleep and nap schedule so that your children stay rested.

What can my child eat, drink in foreign countries?

Stick to boiled or bottled water. If that is not available when you are out and about sightseeing, choose a carbonated drink (bacteria cannot survive in carbonated liquids). Avoid tap water, water fountains and ice cubes.

Make sure that any food you eat is fully cooked, and don’t be tempted by any delicious-smelling goodies from street vendors. Avoid dairy products unless you know that they have been pasteurized. Choose fruit you can peel, like bananas.

Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially before eating. Or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Is there anything else I should plan for?

Always wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer after handling money. Bring and make sure that your child uses his or her car seat if you will be in a car during the trip. Wear a seatbelt on every car ride and a helmet if you are riding a bike or motorbike.

What should I do if I get sick while abroad?

If you are staying with friends or family, ask them for a recommendation for a local doctor.

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate can also provide you with names and addresses of local doctors. To contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country you are visiting, call Overseas Citizens Services at (888) 407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or +1 (202) 501-4444 (from overseas)

Advice is not intended to take the place of an exam or diagnosis by a physician. For more information, visit ■

SpecialtyMagazines advertise


The Town Crier publishes six different glossy magazines throughout the year that are inserted into the newspaper.

You can view the latest magazine as a PDF here or explore our archive of past issues. 


Our magazines include:

  • Camps (1/31)
  • Family Spotlight (2/28)
  • Living in Los Altos (3/28 & 9/26)
  • Home & Garden (4/25 & 8/29)
  • Senior Lifestyles (5/23)
  • Los Altos Arts & Wine Festival Magazine (7/11)
  • Home for the Holidays (11/14)

To advertise, contact our sales department by calling (650) 948-9000 or email

To offer submissions to editorial, contact editor Bruce Barton at

Schools »

Read More

Sports »

Read More

People »

Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

Browse and buy photos