The Los Altos City Council held its 2021 priority-setting retreat Jan. 30. Council members discussed the issues they would like to tackle over the next three to five years. From that discussion, the council adopted the following eight 2021 goals at its Feb. 23 meeting:
1. Housing. The city of Los Altos will support the creation of housing that is diverse, equitable and affordable for all income levels in the community, and support funding and legislation that will help the city to do so and also retain its flexibility in zoning decisions.
2. Land Use. The city of Los Altos will implement policies that support a land-use mix and density that reflect the values of the community, including seeking to protect and increase its green space while ensuring compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
3. Fiscal Sustainabilty. The city of Los Altos will continue to be responsible financial stewards of its resources and assets to ensure long-term fiscal sustainability by practicing sound financial management and fiscal transparency, while providing fiscally sustainable government services that address the needs of the community.
4. Community Safety. The city of Los Altos will continue to implement plans, strategies and educational opportunities to ensure public safety, traffic safety and emergency preparedness services are done in a responsive, equitable, professional, socially responsible and trustworthy manner.
5. Asset Management. The city of Los Altos will set clear expectations and allocate the necessary funding to maintain and improve city facilities and infrastructure that are necessary to provide high-quality services for the well-being of residents.
6. Environmental Sustainability. The city of Los Altos will be a leader on environmental sustainability through education and adopting and embracing policies, initiatives and practices that advance this effort.
7. Community Engagement. The city of Los Altos will continue to improve its community engagement process to ensure all community members are heard, informed and included.
8. Transitioning through Change. The city council will proactively address the impact of COVID-19 and other consequential changes on the community during 2020 and 2021 to ensure Los Altos successfully navigates these transitions to be an even stronger community.
I look forward to the council achieving these goals for our community.
Neysa Fligor is mayor of Los Altos.