At the April 8 Los Altos School District board meeting, families expressed their outrage with the proposal to relocate Egan Junior High School. Our community believes, and I agree, that the proposed Bullis Charter School/Los Altos School District agreement is not in the best interests of our children. We all want peace, but not at any cost. We must find a better solution.
I request that the district and charter school boards work together to implement a groundbreaking district/charter collaboration that benefits all students.
I propose joint collaboration to improve programs:
• Share gyms, labs and specialized teaching spaces.
• Jointly hire specialized staff for electives.
• Collaborate on staff training.
• Offer joint after-school programs.
• Share day care facilities.
• LASD offers access to programs serving special-education and low-income students.
I also propose facilities sharing to accommodate 900-1,200 Bullis Charter School students:
• Two collocated schools at the Mountain View site to help serve 800-plus neighborhood students: 300-400 elementary students for the Los Altos School District and 300-400 elementary students for Bullis Charter School.
• 600-800 Bullis Charter students share Egan and/or Blach Intermediate School with district students.
• All neighborhood schools preserved.
• Dramatic increase in facilities and field space for Bullis Charter School.
Benefits for both district and charter school families:
• Facilities certainty.
• State-of-the-art neighborhood schools in Mountain View.
• Learn from each other’s innovative programs.
Benefits for the entire community:
• Reduces, disperses traffic.
• Ends lawsuits and divisiveness.
• Allows community to heal and move forward together.
• Uses taxpayer funds more efficiently.
We can implement a win-win solution without painful loss to any single community group. We must urge the charter school and district boards to consider collaborative alternatives to relocating Egan.
Sangeeth Peruri is a former president of the Los Altos School District Board of Trustees.