• Stay hydrated, feel full. Drink six to eight glasses of water per day and make sure to consume a full glass of water after every alcoholic beverage.
• Don’t arrive hungry. Before attending a party, eat a healthful, balanced meal, which includes a protein source and fresh fruits and vegetables.
• Take small bites. Rather than avoiding sweets entirely, have a small bite to indulge a little without gaining a lot.
• At a party, walk around and take note of the food options before you dig in. Then make three or four selections using a small plate or napkin to keep portions manageable. After that, step away from the buffet.
• Focus on passed hors d’oeuvres, which will create an interesting and satisfying meal and help you eat less.
• After eating, chew gum or eat a mint to reduce the temptation to consume more food.
Jodi Bjurman, Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator, is outpatient dietitian at El Camino Hospital.