- Published on Wednesday, 21 August 2013 01:30
- Written by Los Altos Town Crier Staff - Town Crier Report
El Camino Hospital’s Senior Health Center recently received recognition from the National Committee for Quality Assurance’s Patient-Centered Medical Home program.
The program honored the Senior Health Center for using evidence-based, patient-centered processes focused on highly coordinated care and long-term relationships between patients and providers, while improving outcomes and reducing costs.
The Senior Health Center, among the first of its kind in Northern California, provides a comprehensive continuum of care from wellness and prevention to post-hospital managed care.
“Our Senior Health offering has raised the bar in delivering quality care by taking an innovative and collaborative approach to meeting the complex physical, mental and social needs of the growing aging population in our area,” said Tomi Ryba, president and CEO of El Camino Hospital. “Our approach is to combine multidisciplinary care to each patient and personalize their care based on their clinical and emotional needs.”
To receive the national committee’s recognition, valid for three years, the Senior Health Center demonstrated the ability to meet the program’s key standards, which align with the joint principles of the patient-centered medical home established with the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Osteopathic Association.
The Senior Health Center met key program components in the following areas.
• Written standards for patient access and continuity of care.
• Use of patient feedback materials.
• Appropriate use of charting tools to track patients and organize clinical information.
• Responsive care management techniques, with an emphasis on preventive care for individual patients and for the entire patient population.
• Adaptation to patients’ cultural and linguistic needs.
• Use of information technology for prescriptions, tests and referral tracking and coordination with other health-care providers.
• Use of evidence-based guidelines to treat chronic conditions.
• Measurement and reporting of clinical and service performance.
For more information, visit elcaminohospital.org.