The Los Altos Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For reservations and more information, call 947-2797 or visit www.losaltosrecreation.org.
• Thanksgiving luncheon: Noon Nov. 16 in the Multipurpose Room. The Thanksgiving luncheon will include salad, roast turkey and gravy, roll, stuffing, vegetable and pumpkin pie. Cost is $8 members, $10 nonmembers. Reservations preferred.
• Christmas luncheon: Noon Dec. 21 in the Multipurpose Room. The menu will include ham, pineapple bread, herbed rice, peas with mushrooms and dessert. Cost is $8 members, $10 nonmembers. Reservations preferred.
Senior Center participants are invited to join the Los Altos Recreation Department’s Kinder Prep program for an intergenerational ornament-making and tree-dressing party 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 30 in rooms 10 and 11. Ornament making is scheduled 10:30-11 a.m., followed by decking the halls of the Senior Center and lunch at noon. Lunch is $4 members, $6 nonmembers.
The Senior Center has scheduled a number of new classes in January. New offerings include:
• Anthropolgy through Collage: Excavating Your Own Life
• Beginners Happy Qigong (in English and Mandarin)
• Excel: Beyond the Basics
• The Early Renaissance in Italy
See the Senior Center’s January Spotlight newsletter for details.
• The Recreation Department is collecting empty cardboard toilet paper and paper towel rolls and used, clean nylons. The Monkey Toy Ladies use the items to make stuffed monkeys for sick children at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. Drop off donations in Room 10.
• The Senior Center is accepting contributions of gently used scarves, hats, yarn and yarn remnants through December. The items will be donated to the needy. Drop off donations in Room 10.
• Volunteer to man the front desk. Openings are available 8:30 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays or on a substitute basis. Tasks include greeting participants, answering phones, refilling coffee, registering people for events and performing other small assignments as they arise. Computer skills preferred.
• Volunteers are needed Nov. 15 and 16 and Dec. 20 and 21 to help with holiday luncheon preparation. Sign up to serve as a sous chef (three needed) or to assist with setup, decorations, serving and cleanup.