- Published on Wednesday, 16 May 2012 01:00
- Written by Los Altos Town Crier
The Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For reservations and more information, call 947-2797 or visit www.losaltosrecreation.org.
Older Americans Month
The Senior Center has scheduled three programs in celebration of Older Americans Month.
• Trivia Day, 1 p.m. May 23, Room 10: Team up with four to six friends and compete to see who has the most knowledge of the obscure, the interesting and the downright random. The first-place team will receive a prize. Light snacks and beverages will be served.
Register to reserve your team’s spot by Friday. Cost is $1 for members, $2 for nonmembers.
• Photo Scavenger Hunt, all month: Team members will take digital photos of themselves all over Los Altos performing various assigned activities. Each photo is worth a certain number of points and should be emailed to the coordinator once the team has completed all of the photo clues. Each team needs a minimum of two players. Sign up at the front desk.
• Mocktail Party: 1 p.m. May 30, Room 10: Celebrate the culmination of Older Americans Month and view the results of the Photo Scavenger Hunt. Snacks will be served.
Cost is $1 for members, $2 for nonmembers.
Activities and events
• Men’s Group: The Men’s Group meets 10 a.m. the first Thursday of every month in Room 10. The group invites single and married men to enjoy pastries and coffee as they chat with other men.
• Summer Bocce Ball Tournament: Form a team for the annual tournament, scheduled to begin in late June or early July. Players will determine the day of play. Teams comprise four players; a minimum of two players must be present to play. Sign up at the front desk.
• Beginning Piano: Seventh-grader Ramya Krishnahas will teach small-group lessons 2:15-3:15 p.m. June 25 through July 16. Ramya, who has studied piano since the age of 5, has volunteered to teach budding pianists to play in a relaxed setting. Space is limited and registration is required. Cost is $1 for members, $3 for nonmembers.
• Summer barbecues: Friday Barbecues are scheduled June 22, July 27 and August 24. Join the group for food, fellowship and entertainment. The Spotlight, the Senior Center’s bimonthly newsletter, will list themes, menus and performers. Cost is $6 for members, $8 for nonmembers.