The Los Altos Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For reservations and more information, call 947-2797 or visit www.losaltosrecreation.org.
• Men’s Group: 10 a.m. June 6, Room 10. The group invites single and married men to enjoy pastries and coffee as they chat with other men.
• Movie Day: 1 p.m. June 7, Room 12. The featured movie is “Silver Linings Playbook,” rated R, running time 2 hours and 2 minutes. Free to members, $1 for nonmembers. Popcorn and beverages will be provided.
• Book Club: 1 p.m. June 13. June’s selection is “The Lady and the Unicorn” (Dutton Adult, 2013) by Tracy Chevalier. Participants may bring a bag lunch.
• Case managers from the Community Services Agency visit the Senior Center 10 a.m. the third Friday of every month to discuss various topics of interest. Friday’s discussion will center on emergency assistance. The June 21 topic will be financial and legal resources and referrals. For more information, call CSA at 968-0836, ext. 131.
• May is the National Council on Aging’s Older Americans Month, designated as a time to appreciate the vitality and aspirations of older adults and their contributions to the community. The theme, “Unleash the Power of Age,” celebrates productive, active and influential seniors who share essential talents, wisdom and life experience with their families, friends and neighbors. To encourage seniors to unleash their creativity, the Senior Center has scheduled a Poetry Corner Potluck noon May 31. Participants may read their favorite poem, share poems they have written or simply listen to others’ contributions. Bring a dish to share.
• Volunteer to man the barbecue at the Senior Center’s summer barbecues, scheduled 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 28, July 26 and Aug. 23. Staff will purchase and provide all food and supplies.
• Volunteer to man the front desk. Openings are available 8:30 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays and on a substitute basis. Tasks include greeting participants, answering phones, refilling coffee, registering people for events and performing other small assignments as they arise. Computer skills preferred.
• The Monkey Toy Ladies need helpers and donations of used nylons to make stuffed monkeys for sick children at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. For more information, visit monkeytoyladies.com.
• The Los Altos City Council approved a Senior Commission recommendation to authorize eight scholarships of up to $200 for Senior Center membership. Scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis to qualifying individuals. Applicants must reside in Los Altos and have an annual income under $39,800. To request an application, call Peggy Ford at 947-2790. Los Altos Hills also offers scholarships. For more information, call Sarah Gualtieri at 947-2814.
• The Senior Center will be closed May 27 in observance of Memorial Day.