- Published on Tuesday, 19 October 2010 17:00
- Written by Los Altos Town Crier
The Los Altos Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays.
For more information or reservations, call 947-2894 or visit www.losaltosrecreation.org.
•Lunch: Noon Friday, Room 12. The Oktoberfest menu includes stuffed cabbage. Cost is $10 for members, $14 for nonmembers.
•Beginning line dancing: 1-2 p.m. Tuesdays. Cost is $6 for members, $8 for nonmembers. No experience necessary. Register in Room 10 or call Richard Campbell at (408) 377-6978.
• Men’s Group: 9:30 a.m. Nov. 4. Men who are single, married or widowed are invited to participate in discussions and activities. Walk-ins are welcomed, but reservations are preferred.
• Movie day: 1 p.m. Nov. 5, Room 12. Featured movie is “Letters to Juliet,” rated PG, running time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Free to members, $1 for nonmembers. Popcorn and beverages will be served.
•Gingerbread house making: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 30, Room 10. The completed house will be displayed at the Los Altos Recreation Department’s Gingerbread House Exhibit Dec. 6-10. Supplies will be provided, but donations of candy are welcomed.
•AARP Mature Driving Course: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 12 and 19, Room 16. Certification – required to secure an insurance discount – is given at the completion of the two-day class. Class size is limited to 30. Participants must register and pay in advance. First-come, first-served. Cost is $12 for members, $14 for nonmembers.
• Case management: 9:30-10:30 a.m. Friday and Nov. 22. Community Services Agency case managers visit the center to answer members’ questions, recommend resources and offer referrals for social services.
The Senior Center is planning to start a few new programs. Volunteers are needed to help with the following activities: canasta, bunco, organizing photos and community gardening. If interested, contact the Senior Center with your name and the day and time you would be available to help.
The Senior Center will be closed Nov. 11 for Veterans Day and Nov. 25 and 26 for Thanksgiving.