Last updateWed, 27 Jul 2016 10am

On The Road

What to do about registration when moving out of state

Q: I am moving out of state, and my California vehicle registration is due soon. Should I notify the DMV that my car will no longer be in the state?

A: Anytime you move, report the change of address to the California DMV using a Change of Address form, available at www.DMV.ca.gov. Also notify the DMV in writing that the vehicle was removed from the state and will be registered elsewhere. Your letter must include the California license plate number and/or vehicle identification number, and the month, day and year the vehicle left the state. Mail to: DMV, PO Box 942869, MS C271, Sacramento, CA 94269-0001.

Q: I received a letter stating that my Personalized License Plate request was denied. Why wasn’t I informed of this when I placed the order online?

A: When ordering online, a general search of our records allows the order if the plate configuration is available. However, specific regulations require us to review every order and ensure that the plate does not violate the regulations. This manual process is not done when your plate is ordered.

George Valverde has been director of the California Department of Motor Vehicles since 2006.

Schools »

Read More

Sports »

Read More

People »

Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

Browse and buy photos