- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 00:00
- Written by Town Crier Report
The League of American Bicyclists promoted Mountain View from the Bronze to the Silver Level of achievement in its latest roster of Bicycle Friendly Communities.
The league promotes bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation through advocacy and education.
The Bicycle Friendly Communities program recognizes cities and businesses that actively support cycling and ranks them annually to encourage health, mobility, freedom and fun.
The program evaluates communities on five factors:
• Engineering: physical infrastructure and hardware that support bicycling
• Education: programs on the safety, comfort and convenience of cyclists and motorists
• Encouragement: incentives, promotions and opportunities that enable more cyclists
• Enforcement: equitable laws and programs that ensure accountability on both sides
• Evaluation: processes that demonstrate a commitment to measuring results and planning for the future
Mountain View earned the Silver Level for its high marks in the Engineering and Evaluation categories. To advance to Platinum, the highest ranking, Mountain View must improve in the areas of Education, Encouragement and Enforcement.
Through the program, the League of American Bicyclists works directly with communities to improve cycling conditions.
For more information, visit www.bikeleague.org.