Photo By: Photo courtesy of Gitika Baveja
Don’t let summer pass without grilling. Barbecuing salmon is a great way to prepare heart-healthy fish while still enjoying the smoky taste of grilled food.
You can make Salmon Kebabs with or without the skin, but I prefer to remove the skin. To add flavor to the salmon, add a quick blend of plain yogurt; garlic; ginger; a few green, aromatic herbs; lemon juice; and spices. The subtle combination of the herbs and spices tastes great on a firm fish such as salmon but also works on white fish like cod and sea bass.
Serve Salmon Kebabs as a quick appetizer with cocktails or as an accompaniment to a meal. Consume them with cilantro chutney wrapped in warm naan bread or as a finger food.
The key to preparing moist kebabs is to monitor and rotate them every few minutes to prevent sticking. Grilling salmon is a bit tricky – you can also place the fish on skewers or in nonstick foil as an alternative to placing directly on the grill.
Gitika Baveja is author of “Indian Flavors to Savor: The Easy Home-Cooked Way.” For more information visit www.flavorstosavor.com.
• 1 medium-sized salmon fillet, skinned (cut into 1-inch cubes)
• 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt (without any liquid)
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
• 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
• 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
• Pinch of crushed red or black pepper
• Salt to taste
• 2-4 fresh curry leaves
• 1-2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoons dry fenugreek leaves (available in box at Indian grocery store)
• 2-3 fresh mint leaves (optional)
• 1 teaspoon chaat masala
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Process all marinade ingredients in blender. Pour mixture on fish, tossing to coat, and marinate in refrigerator 1-2 hours, turning occasionally.
Preheat grill. Just before placing fish, oil grates or use nonstick foil. Grill fish over high heat 2-3 minutes, turning once. Lower heat or move fish to medium heat and grill another 5-6 minutes until done. Test fish before serving.
Sprinkle kebabs with chaat masala and squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Vegetarian option: Marinate paneer (Indian cheese), cut in cubes and grill in similar way. Paneer cooks quickly, so make sure it doesn’t burn.