Some diners are too intimidated to try seafood or may think it’s too expensive to enjoy regularly. But with the wide assortment of types and dishes available today, there is an option out there for every taste and any budget. It’s easy to find fresh, delicious, affordable seafood meals the whole family will enjoy.
Seafood expert and Red Lobster Executive Chef Michael LaDuke offers tips for navigating your way to a perfect seafood meal.
• Start simple. When eating seafood for the first time, or introducing seafood to children, start with something simple. Try shrimp as a topping on a salad or your favorite pizza. Shrimp is great seafood for beginners because it is widely available and very reasonably priced.
• Try it grilled. Seafood is often prepared oven broiled or sauteed, but why not try your next piece of fresh fish, such as salmon, grilled over an open flame?
“Wood-fire grilling sears in the natural juices of fresh fish while adding subtle flavor,” LaDuke said. “Not to mention, grilling is a healthful way to prepare protein-rich seafood.”
• Find comfort in familiar flavors. Broadening your seafood horizons is easy when you start with a sauce or topping you already know and love. A well-known seasoning, like Parmesan cheese, or a common crusted topping, like pecans, can be paired with your favorite fresh fish to add a new dimension to your meal.
A good fish for seafood beginners is tilapia, because of its mild taste and light texture, according to LaDuke.
• Create your own combination. Next time you’re dining at a seafood restaurant, order a combination plate, which allows you to savor multiple flavors and try different preparations at the same time. This lets you discover the type of seafood you enjoy the most.
• Get great seafood at a great value. Quality seafood doesn’t have to cost a pretty penny. Instead, try premium seafood like lobster in a more approachable dish like soup or a sandwich.