- Published on Wednesday, 28 August 2013 01:30
- Written by Los Altos Town Crier Staff - Town Crier Report
As summer winds down and fall beckons, Lake Tahoe is scheduled to host a plethora of events featuring food, wine and activities.
• 21st Annual Great Lake Tahoe Sternwheeler Race, 10 a.m. Saturday. The race pits the South Shore’s two Mississippi paddlewheelers, The Tahoe Queen and the M.S. Dixie II, in a 4-mile race along the shoreline to determine the Tahoe Cup and lake supremacy. Passengers can join the party aboard either boat. Tickets are $25, including brunch.
For more information, visit tahoesouth.com/events.
• Farm to Peak Dinner Series, Homewood Mountain Resort, 4 p.m. Saturday. The five-course dinner begins with a champagne toast while riding the Quail Chair chairlift up to the top of Homewood Mountain. Dinner features local, seasonal cuisine, wine and special guest chef Kellan Hori of Kellan’s Kitchen. Tickets are $150.
For more information, visit skihomewood.com/lake-tahoe-events.
• Fourth Annual Sample the Sierra Farm-to-Fork Festival, 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Held on Ski Run Boulevard in South Lake Tahoe, the festival features wines from the Sierra’s David Girard Vineyards, Shadow Ranch Winery and Crystal Basin Cellars. The event includes booths with handmade products, live entertainment and cooking demonstrations.
For more information, visit samplethesierra.com.
• Labor Day Weekend Fireworks Extravaganza, 8:30 p.m. Sunday. The fireworks are visible from all over town, including from boats on the lake, Nevada Beach, Timber Cove Marina, Bijou Community Park, the Tallac Historic Site, the summit of Mount Tallac, Edgewood Tahoe and Lakeview Commons at El Dorado Beach.
For more information, visit www.tahoesouth.com.
• 28th Annual Autumn Food and Wine Festival in The Village at Northstar, Sept. 6-8. The festival includes cooking seminars, competitions, wine tastings, the Bike to the Beach Bash & BBQ, the Pedals & Pinot bike tour and a live concert with Joe Craven. Some events are free; ticket prices for others vary.
For more information, visit northstarcalifornia.com.
• Tahoe Geotourism Expo 2013, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 7 and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 8. The expo showcases environmentally friendly activities and adventures at Lakeview Commons at El Dorado Beach. Activities include paddleboard yoga, kayak tours, wildlife viewing, Washoe cultural ceremonies, water science demonstrations, heritage hikes and more.
For more information, visit tahoeexpo.com.
• Tour de Tahoe – Bike Big Blue, Sept. 8. The 72-mile ride benefits the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Start times vary.
For more information, visit bikethewest.com/tour-de-tahoe.
• Lake Tahoe Marathon, Sept. 27-29. Participants can run, walk, swim, paddle or pedal one or more of the 30-plus events over the course of the weekend.
For more information, visit laketahoemarathon.com.
For more information, call (530) 581-6637.
• Gunbarrel Tavern & Eatery, Heavenly Village. Chefs Billy McCullough and Ricky Sausser oversee the recently opened restaurant, which serves new American cuisine using primarily local, sustainable ingredients. Signature items include the Tuna Tower, Crispy Berkshire Pork Belly Salad, Pulled Duck Sliders and PBR Beer Can Chicken.
For more information, visit gunbarreltavern.com.