Los Altos and Los Altos Hills will be teeming with hometown festivities for the entire family July 4.
Los Altos Hills
• Bike, hike or walk to the Los Altos Hills Town Hall, 26379 W. Fremont Road, by 10 a.m. to join local residents for a patriotic fanfare during the Fourth of July Parade down Fremont Road. The parade will conclude at Gardner Bullis School, 25890 Fremont Road, where watermelon and beverages will be served.
• Roll out of bed early and leave the cooking to the Mariners of Union Presbyterian Church of Los Altos, who are commemorating our country’s freedom by serving pancakes, sausage, fruit, juice, coffee and more at their 41st annual Pancake Breakfast, scheduled 8:30-11:30 a.m. in the church’s Bailey Hall, 858 University Ave. There is no charge, but donations will be collected for Help One Child, an organization dedicated to finding foster homes for children.
• To commemorate the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the Rejoicing Ringers handbell choir of the Los Altos Lutheran Church will join in an annual, nationwide tolling of the bells at exactly 11 a.m. Following the bell ceremony, the group will present a concert of handbell music and a military service songs sing-along. A family potluck picnic will follow the concert. The Church is located at 460 S. El Monte Ave.
• The Los Altos Community Foundation’s Independence Day Celebration is scheduled 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Shoup Park, 400 University Ave. In addition to a program with musical entertainment from Ye Olde Towne Band and The Unicorns, there will be hot dogs, ice cream and shaved ice to satisfy your summer cravings. Family activities include face painting, balloon art, a petting zoo, a dunk tank and outdoor games.
• To end the Fourth with a sparkle and bang, head over the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View for the Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular featuring the San Francisco Symphony. The show, beginning with Symphony renditions of music from “Harry Potter, “Rocky” and “Ben-Hur” in addition to traditional Fourth of July music, is scheduled 8 p.m. in the theater, 1 Amphitheatre Parkway. Tickets are $24-35 (plus fees), with seats in a Family 4-Pack starting at $19.25 (including fees $27.25).