The League of Women Voters’ annual Great Decisions series, which features discussions on eight topics proposed by the Foreign Policy Association and detailed in its briefing book, is scheduled to begin in February.
Discussions will be held Monday afternoons at the Los Altos main library, 13 S. San Antonio Road. No discussion is scheduled Feb. 21, Presidents Day.
• “Rebuilding Haiti.” Is the aftermath of the disastrous earthquake an opportunity or a disaster for Haiti?
• “U.S. National Security.” In the wake of 9/11, life and concerns have changed. How will the shift in thinking shape the future of the United States?
• “Horn of Africa.” The region has become increasingly volatile. What has the U.S. learned?
• “Responding to the Financial Crisis.” What has the U.S. learned, and what can it do?
• “Germany Ascendant.” What is the status of the U.S.-German relationship?
• “Sanctions and Nonproliferation.” The use of sanctions to curtail nations continues to concern the U.S. Is there hope?
• “The Caucasus.” Living in the shadow of Russia, Iran and Turkey, these nations have a role in the region and beyond. What are the issues?
• “Global Governance.” International cooperation, interconnectedness, a shrinking world and the viability of existing agreements and institutions are all concerns of the United States.
For more information and specific dates, visit www.fpa.org.