- Published on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 01:08
- Written by Los Altos Town Crier Staff - Town Crier Report
A sewer main repair project that includes the cities of Los Altos, Mountain View and Palo Alto started Saturday and will require some lane closures into June.
The project encompasses repairs on El Monte Avenue between Spargur Drive and Marich Way, segments of the San Antonio Frontage Road, areas under Highway 101 at the San Antonio Road on- and off-ramps and the intersection of San Antonio Road and Bayshore Parkway.
The project specifies work such as lining the underground sanitary sewer pipes to mitigate corrosion at the following locations.
• San Antonio Frontage Road: 996 San Antonio Road to 998 San Antonio Road
• San Antonio Frontage Road/Easement: 998 San Antonio Road to 4007 Transport St.
• Easement at 4007 Transport St. under Highway 101 to 2634 Bayshore Parkway
Work is also scheduled at two sewer manholes on Bayshore Parkway, one south of Garcia Avenue and the other near San Antonio Road.
Because the pipeline work cannot be accomplished while wastewater flows through the pipes, crews will install temporary ground pipes along the street centerline, shoulder area and along one side of the San Antonio Road Bridge (over Highway 101) to convey sewage temporarily until below-ground pipe and manhole repairs are completed. Underground pipes will also need to be installed at the on- and off-ramps in the Caltrans right-of-way at Highway 101.
The ongoing work will result in the following impacts on El Monte Avenue.
• Left turns onto El Monte Avenue from Pilgrim Avenue, Hollingsworth Drive, Spargur Drive, Marich Way and from the driveway of the El Monte Shopping Center will be prohibited during the duration of project. Left turns from El Monte Avenue onto Marich Way will also be prohibited.
• Residents on El Monte Avenue (from Marich Way to Spargur Drive/Lloyd Way) will have access to their driveways. However, they will be limited to right turns during the project.
• Vehicles and bicycles must share the road since the contractor requires a temporary work area in the middle of El Monte Avenue.
• The lining of the two sewer mains on El Monte Avenue is a 24-hour operation.
In addition, the following disruptions are expected on San Antonio Road/Bayshore Parkway.
• Street parking on San Antonio Frontage Road will be temporarily restricted during the project. “No Parking” signs will be posted on the one-way street and at other locations as requested by the cities of Mountain View and Palo Alto.
• A sewage bypass system (piping and pumps) will be in place from installation until the project is complete.
• Work hours for the rehabilitation of the two manholes on Bayshore Parkway are scheduled 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The lining of the sewer mains on San Antonio Frontage Road under Highway 101 and at the intersection of San Antonio Road and Bayshore Parkway requires a 24-hour operation.
For more information, call the city of Los Altos Engineering Division at 947-2780 or visit losaltosca.gov.