- Published on Wednesday, 12 December 2012 00:00
- Written by Town Crier Report
Photo By: Clyde Noel/Special to the Town Crier
Ten local residents received Los Altos-Los Altos Hills Joint Community Volunteer Service Awards at the 30th annual luncheon, held Friday at Fremont Hills Country Club in Los Altos Hills.
The event, organized by a committee with members from Los Altos and Los Altos Hills, featured a keynote speech on the importance of volunteerism by Kirk Hanson, executive director of the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University.
This year’s honorees and their contributions include:
• Margie Suozzo, for her leadership of GreenTown Los Altos and volunteer work at Gardner Bullis School.
• Kathy Berry, for leading the Rotary Club of Los Altos’ scholarship program the past four years and for contributing to the Partners for New Generations program.
• Valerie Metcalf, for her involvement in various programs at Westwind Community Barn.
• Betty Latta, for her longtime volunteer work with Los Altos Art Docents.
• Pat and Bob Reed, for their longtime ambassadorial role as greeters at local events ranging from Chamber of Commerce mixers to Opening Night parties for the Bus Barn Theater.
• Peter Liesenfelt, for his efforts on behalf of the Kiwanis Club of Los Altos, from managing the club’s Christmas Tree Lot to participation in the annual Kiwanis Pet Parade and Kiwanis Special Games.
• Ida Cohen, for her volunteer efforts on behalf of the Los Altos Library. Cohen’s idea of charging 25 cents for books that would otherwise be discarded generated an additional $3,000 for Friends of the Library of Los Altos and Community.
• Richard Sereni, for his work at Westwind Community Barn and four decades of animal rescue efforts.
• Marge Shively, for a variety of volunteer activities, including the Partners for New Generations program at Loyola School and her advocacy in the fight against spinal muscular atrophy.