- Published on Wednesday, 10 October 2012 01:00
- Written by Town Crier Report
The California Pops Orchestra is moving back home and going to college – Foothill College.
The 65-piece symphony orchestra is scheduled to debut its five-show 2012-2013 season with “Turn On the Heat,” an ode to classic American songwriters, 2 p.m. Sunday at Smithwick Theatre, 12345 S. El Monte Road on the Los Altos Hills campus.
The orchestra, in its 24th year, initially played at Spangenberg Theatre at Gunn High School. It moved to larger venues in Los Gatos four years ago before returning locally this year. Sunday’s concert, conducted by Kim Venaas, features pianist Frederick Hodges and Big Band singer Ann Gibson.
The remaining lineup:
• Dec. 16: “Home for the Holidays,” starring Pierce Brandt and The Honeybee Trio performing the songs of The Andrew Sisters.
• Jan. 27: “Gotta Dance,” featuring dance music ranging from jive to jitterbug, waltz, rhumba and tango.
• March 17: “Strike Up the Big Bands,” showcasing the annual Big Band romp, with guests The Black Tie Jazz Orchestra.
• May 19: “Maestros of the Movies,” the season finale honoring legendary composers of movie musicals.
For tickets and more information, call 856-8432 or visit www. calpops.org.