The 47th Annual Foothill College Celebrity Forum Speakers Series, which opens in October and runs through May, features a varied lineup of newsmakers who appear for three consecutive nights.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District sponsors the series. Founder Dick Henning serves as moderator.
The lineup for the 2014-2015 season:
• Bill Nye, Oct. 22-24. Nye, known as “The Science Guy,” is a science educator, comedian, television host, actor, writer and scientist who began his career as a mechanical engineer at Boeing Co.
• Robert Gates, Nov. 19-21. Gates was U.S. Secretary of Defense under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. He previously served as director of the CIA and president of Texas A&M University.
• Anderson Cooper, Jan. 21-23. Cooper is a journalist, author and CNN news anchor. He aims to go beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view and travels around the world to film human-interest stories.
• Platon, Feb. 18-20. Platon is an award-winning photographer who has taken photos of many presidents and international newsmakers. He will show his photos and share anecdotes about his subjects.
• Walter Isaacson, March 25-27. Isaacson wrote “Steve Jobs” (Simon & Schuster, 2011), the only authorized biography of the late Apple Inc. co-founder. Isaacson will discuss Jobs’ life and legacy as well as the upcoming movie – with a screenplay by Oscar-winner Aaron Sorkin – based on his book.
• Soledad O’Brien, April 22-24. O’Brien is a broadcast journalist, executive producer and philanthropist. Last year she launched Starfish Media Group, dedicated to uncovering and producing empowering stories.
• Alan Alda, May 13-15. Alda is best known for starring as Hawkeye Pierce on the long-running TV series “M*A*S*H.” The role earned him five Emmys for acting, writing and directing. He also played Arnold Vilnick on “The West Wing” and earned an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor in “The Aviator” in 2004.
All Celebrity Forum programs are scheduled 8 p.m. at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts on the De Anza College campus, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino.
For tickets and more information, visit celebrityforum.net.