The Los Altos Senior Center is located at Hillview Community Center, 97 Hillview Ave. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays.
For reservations and more information, call 947-2797 or visit losaltosrecreation.org.
Activities and events
• Yee Ha Country Western BBQ: Noon July 25 on the Senior Center patio. The menu includes tri-tip, salad, watermelon and root beer floats. The Bows & Beaus square-dancing group will provide entertainement. Cost is $6 members, $8 nonmembers.
• Piano lessons: 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays through Aug. 14. Ramya Krishna, a sophomore at Pinewood School, teaches 30-minute lessons for all skill levels. Krishna is scheduled to perform a piano concert, with highlights from Rachmaninoff, Beethoven and Prokofiev, 1-1:50 p.m. Tuesday in Room 10.
• Movie Day: 1 p.m. Aug. 1, Room 12. The featured movie is “Delivery Man,” starring Vince Vaughn. Free for members, $1 for nonmembers. Popcorn and beverages will be provided.
• Men’s Group: 10 a.m. Aug. 7, Room 10. The group invites single and married men to enjoy pastries and coffee as they chat with other men. Walk-ins are welcome, but reservations are preferred.
• Book Club: 1 p.m. Aug. 14, Room 10. August’s selection is “The Light Between Oceans” (Scribner, 2012) by M. L. Stedman. Participants may bring a bag lunch and join members at 12:30 p.m.
• The Senior Center seeks a volunteer to oversee summer barbecues. Staff will purchase and provide all food and supplies.
• Volunteer to man the front desk. Openings are available 8 a.m. to noon Thursdays and Fridays or on a substitute basis. Tasks include greeting participants, answering phones, refilling coffee, registering people for events and performing other small assignments as they arise. Computer skills preferred.
• A movie host is needed to make and serve popcorn and drinks for movies screened on the first Friday of each month.
• The Senior Center needs volunteers to prepare nutritious meals for a maximum of 36 seniors on the second and third Fridays of each month. Tasks include working with staff to create the menu, scheduling volunteers, communicating shopping needs and serving meals.
• The Monkey Toy Ladies need helpers and donations of nylons to make stuffed monkeys for sick children at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. The group meets 9:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays in Room 11. For more information, visit monkeytoyladies.com.
• The city of Los Altos offers eight $200 scholarships for Senior Center membership. Scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis to qualifying individuals. Applicants must reside in Los Altos and have an annual income under $39,800. To request an application, call Peggy Ford at 947-2790.
• The town of Los Altos Hills also offers scholarships to its residents. For more information, call Sarah Gualtieri at 947-2814.