Serving those who served us: Editorial

“Thank you for your service” often comes across as lip service to our veterans. As always, actions speak louder than words.

The Rotary Club of Los Altos has taken plenty of action, contributing time and money to improve opportunities for veterans through the Veterans Resource Center at Foothill College. Young vets are getting a new start in civilian life, thanks to the work of the center.


Housing 'affordable' in name only: Editorial

“Spate of affordable housing coming soon to Los Altos” read a front-page headline in last week’s Town Crier. Hmm. Perhaps we were overstating the case.

“Affordable” is a relative term. By the rest of the nation’s standards, the entire Bay Area is unaffordable. And Los Altos is the least affordable city in the Bay Area. A recently released Coldwell Banker report revealed that Los Altos is the most expensive market in the nation – compared with similar homes in 2,000 markets across the U.S. Seven other Bay Area cities round out the top 10.


Coping with addictions: Haugh About That?

Preparing to deal with my lifelong addiction, I stood in front of the mirror ready to confess the shame I’d been hiding. The first step to healing, I reminded myself, is to admit something is wrong.


Thanksgiving on Lanai: No Shoes, Please

I was in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago and visited Lanai, a small island of roughly 3,000 inhabitants. It was famously purchased in 2012 by Oracle Corp.’s co-founder and chairman, Larry Ellison, who now owns 98 percent of it. The other 2 percent is owned by the state of Hawaii, and that’s where everyone else lives and works.


Election 2014: Looking back, looking forward: Editor's Notebook

With the Nov. 4 election results all but finalized, we wonder what voters were thinking with their choices for our city council and school boards, and what the results of Measure N mean.

I think it’s pretty obvious that voters in general opted for a conservative approach with their choices.


Letters to the Editor

Foothill thanks Rotary for support for vets

The Foothill College Veterans Resource Center’s open house Oct. 30 was spectacularly successful, thanks to the spirit and dedication of the Rotary Club of Los Altos.

Foothill College cares deeply for our veterans and could not provide the range and quality of services we do without the generosity of Rotarians and the Los Altos community. Their contributions have provided book vouchers, smartpens, laptops for loan and scholarships that have often been the tipping point for veterans remaining in school and successfully completing their educational objectives.


Letters to the Editor

Voters say: Advantage LASD

Some clear signals just emerged from our recent murky election.

First on Measure N: The community’s commitment to educational investment managed to outweigh its fear that Bullis Charter School will disproportionately grab those funds at the expense of the rest of our schools. As a Los Altos School District parent, that point was central to every conversation I’ve heard on the topic.


Schools »

Read More

Sports »

Read More

People »

Read More

Special Sections »

Special Sections
Read More

Photos of Los Altos

Browse and buy photos