For more than 103 years, there has been a store at the same location in Mountain View providing lumber for the surrounding communities.
Parkinson Bros. Lumber & Hardware established a branch yard on Front Street, Nov. 12, 1897.
Over the century, the names changed but the product and motto: "Everything to Build Anything" remained the same. Front Street is now Evelyn Avenue. And the business has been Minton's Lumber & Supply for 90 years. In 1911, Earl D. Minton and his bride journeyed from Neligh, Neb., to Mountain View to manage the family's newly-purchased store.
To celebrate the 90th year of Minton's Lumber & Supply, the store has planned monthly anniversary specials: April 13 and 14, purchases will be sales- tax-free. In May, customers spending more than $90, will be entered in a drawing for a free TV set.
Minton's has seen continual growth through its history. In 1965, Herbert H. Eaton, joined the staff as assistant general manager. He desiged the lumber yard at the newly-completed Cupertino store.
Herbert's son Owens sold the retail portion, Minton's Lumber & Supply, to the Eatons in 1971. Under their ownership, a Milpitas store and a re-manufacturing division, Eaton Door Inc., were added.
The Mountain View retail lumber yard and storage sheds went up in flames Oct. 22, 1995, in a blaze visible for more than 10 miles, with damage estimated at nearly $8 million.
After one day, Eaton and his daughter Debra Schulz, president, immediately started the renovation.
Plans include removal of the old Mountain View hardware store, in conjunction with the city's projected widening of Evelyn Avenue, and adding the corresponding square footage to the new building.
Minton's provides "the kind of superior customer service that is impossible to find anywhere else," Operations Manager Kari Bjerke said. Employees like Leo Zacanti, outside sales, 26 years, and Steve Hoffman, corporate purchasing, more than 23 years, maintain the continuity and pride of service that 90 years can produce.